Dr. Samuel Lamerson
PROFESSOR OF NEW TESTAMENT, PRESIDENT
Bob Jones University, BA; Knox Theological Seminary, MDiv; Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, PhD (Theological Studies).
Dr. Samuel Lamerson is all Knox: a graduate in the first class, friend and colleague of Knox’s founder, Dr. D. James Kennedy, Pastor at Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, Professor of New Testament, Dean, and now President.
Dr. Lamerson was the Sunday morning preaching and teaching pastor at Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church during the illness and after the passing of Dr. D. James Kennedy, from January 2007 until Easter of 2009.
Prior to joining the Knox faculty, Dr. Lamerson taught at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. Dr. Lamerson’s teaching philosophy can best be summed up in a quotation from William Butler Yeats; “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” He desires to light a fire in his students that will cause them to become life-long students of the Word of God. He uniquely combines academic research and teaching with over 30 years of pastoral experience, ranging from senior pastor to director of children’s ministries.
Dr. Lamerson has contributed in a number of ways to New Testament scholarship. His book English Grammar to Ace New Testament Greek is widely used across the United States in New Testament Greek classes. He has also written articles for the Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible, The Lexham Bible Dictionary, and contributed a chapter to the book New Testament Studies.
His published articles have appeared in Quodlibet Journal, Currents in Biblical Research, and American Theological Inquiry. He has written book reviews in the Journal of Biblical Literature, Trinity Journal, and The Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society. He has presented a number of papers at the annual meetings of the Evangelical Theological Society. Dr. Lamerson has been a guest scholar on television specials such as “Who is this Jesus?” and “The Stones Cry Out.” He has taught at seminaries in Kingston, Jamaica; Seoul, Korea; and Beijing, China.
His areas of special interest include the parables of Jesus, forgiveness in Second-Temple Judaism, New Testament Greek, and the study of the historical Jesus.
Outside of the classroom, Dr. Lamerson maintains an active preaching and teaching schedule in south Florida. When he’s not preaching or teaching, Dr. Lamerson enjoys sleight of hand and juggling. He is married to Cynthia and has two grown children, Charity and Josiah.
- Teaching the Parables to a Post–Modern Society
- The Openness of God and the Historical Jesus
- Forgiveness in the Gospel of Matthew
- “Evangelicals and the Quest for the Historical Jesus” in New Testament Studies, ed. Paul Foster (Edinburgh: Sage, 2010).
- “Jesus and Comedy” in Bible Study Magazine, (May/June 2009)
- “Jesus’ Use of Comedy to Combat Religious Errors” a talk delivered in the Logos Guest Scholar Lecture Series, Bellingham, WA, 2008
- “Evangelicals and the Quest for the Historical Jesus: An Overview” Currents in Research: Biblical Studies, Fall 2002
- “Excommunication” in Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible 2000
- “En-Dor” in Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible 2000